17 November 2010

Restrepo and War

On 11/16/2010, Staff Sgt Salvatore Giunta (Battle Co; 2nd PLT; 173rd Airborne) received the Medal of Honor for his actions in 2007 in the Korengal Valley, Afghanistan. He is the first living MOH recipient since the Vietnam War.
Part of his story is chronicled in the documentary "Restrepo," which I just watched. This very powerful film...is difficult to watch (at times), but should be required viewing for all Americans - unless you have any currently deployed family or friends. In that case, I would recommend waiting until they are home (do as I say...not as I do...). I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. Anyway. It's available ondemand, but will also be shown on 11/29 on the National Geographic channel.

Also - very much worth reading is the book that goes along with the film (in a way): WAR, also by Sebastien Junger.

Restrepo official website.

H/T to Joe for the heads-up on the availability of the movie ondemand cable.

No comments: