22 April 2008

I just want to add . . . .

...just wanted to add to my previous post. It is horribly tragic and sad when anyone - regardless of their job - committs suicide. I have known my (un)fair share of people who have died in this manner, and it is a painful subject.

People close to me have suffered major depression. They do still. And this is - in many circles - a taboo subject to discuss. Almost anything having to do with mental health, really, has a "do-not-go-there" aura about it, which in turn can make it that much more difficult for people to get the help they need.

I am pretty laid back, yes. But when it comes to topics such as mental health, depression, suicide...and to hear of SO MANY people not getting the help they need...ARGH. It just infuriates - and saddens - me.


I know what it is like for the people left behind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of this also has to do with people's fear of mental illness. This and somehow almost conferring the reason for the condition upon the people suffering as if they brought it on themselves. This I think is a big reason why it remains so taboo.

Unknown said...

Let's say you belong to Tricare North (mostly east coast) and you want to see a head doctor. Odds are there isn't a head doctor for your base, then you have to see some other doctor who may or may not know you or you may not be confortable with. From there he/she says yep you can go see a head doctor or nope your fine. If yep, then you have to wait at least 48 hours until the "referral" can go through the system and they(Tricare North) will assign you a head doctor. Then you call the assigned head doctor and make an appointment.

If you are Tricare West, any active duty can "self-refer" themselves to any doctor but is it your responsibilty for you to make sure they accpt Tricare.

Fun.