06 September 2008

Friday Five - Vulnerability

1. Is vulnerability something that comes easily to you, or are you a private person?
In real life (as opposed to this blog, I guess) I am a private person - stemming from shyness - but I have learned to work with and around that and force myself out of my shell, both in my private life as well as my musical life. Part of that stems from being a shy child and expressing myself through music (piano playing); also, I tend to "come across" better in written language than in my tongue-tied self. As pertains to my performing, I've written about being vulnerable on stage here, here, and more recently, here.

2.How important is it to keep up a professional persona in work/ ministry?
Depends on your line of work - heh. As "executive assistant" yes, it's pretty important that I be professional. (Though I am the token "artsy" one in the office). As an actor and singer...well, professional has a dfferent meaning, I think. Professional is different from vulnerable. One must be on time, know ones lines and be a good ('professional') colleague. If the character you're working on demands you be vulnerable, then you learn to be vulnerable on stage. The transition between acting life and real life gets easier the more you do it.
Also - while ministry is not my vocation per se, I find that being real (or vulnerable) with people is a great deal more effective way to minister than beating someone over the head with a Bible verse or anything like that
.

3. Masks, a form of self protection discuss...
I have them - we all do. I've learned to recognize them and get rid of a few along the way; some people unmask me while others almost necessitate that I put on one mask or another (for protection, indeed).

4. Who knows you warts and all?
My closest friends. They know who they are. And my family, perhaps.

5. Share a book, a prayer, a piece of music, a poem or a person that touches the deep place in your soul, and calls you to be who you are most authentically.
Barber's Adagio sung with an Agnus Dei text. The hymn Amazing Grace. Chopin's nocturnes. Lots of music moves me for different reasons. Listening to certain pieces of music with people - especially in live performance - is an extraordinarily strong experience for me. There's nothing quite like it.

No comments: