02 May 2008

Friday Fives - wait & pray

From RevGals Friday Five:
Prayer is a joy to some of us, and a chore to others, waiting likewise can be filled with anticipation or anxiety....So how do you wait and pray?

1. How do you pray best, alone or with others?
Either. However . . . it is “easier” for me to pray with others, just by virtue of the fact that there are other people there to help keep my mind from wandering off on some tangent. But…looking at Jesus’ life…He always found a place to retreat and pray by himself, away from other people – which takes a lot of discipline. And if He had to communicate one-on-one with God…well, Lord knows how much more I have to, then. I’m working on being more disciplined in this area. Writing things down helps me keep focused.

2. Do you enjoy the discipline of waiting, is it a time of anticipation or anxiety?
ooh. Honestly? Most of the time, no. I don’t enjoy it. But I think that can stem from (up there in question #1) not spending enough time in prayer alone and listening.

3. Is there a time when you have waited upon God for a specific promise?
Yes.

4. Do you prefer stillness or action?
I tend to buck at the stillness. But eventually, I get tired and embrace it.

5. If (and this is slightly tongue in cheek) you were promised one gift spiritual or otherwise what would you choose to receive?
To be able to communicate to all people in their own language…

No comments: