02 April 2008

Citius, Altius, Fortius*

I don’t know about ya’ll, but perhaps, like me, you’ve also been following the China/Tibet news and heard about this guy and this woman wanting to boycott the Olympics (remains to be seen how far that goes, although Chancellor Merkel will not be attending, herself). And of course, San Francisco’s very own Pelosi has asked our President to boycott the Ceremony. Speaking of . . . San Francisco is the only American city to get the torch – next Wednesday, in fact – and the entire argument is coming to rest, in a manner of speaking, close to home. The Olympic Torch route (see below) takes the torch immediately in front of the building I like to call “my office away from home”. Not once, but twice, will it pass outside of our doors. This makes me both very excited (I’ve always loved the Olympics) and not a little anxious, as I know that there are already huge demonstrations being planned.


I have been summoned for jury duty next week, so either I will be down at the courthouse, far away from the drama unfolding on the streets next Wednesday OR I will be in the thick of it – staking out a prime viewing spot on the roof of our 3 story building, snapping pictures of the whole event. I kind of hope I get to be taking pictures…that is, of course, assuming I can get to work that day. Not sure what the security and road closures are going to be – but I know they will be in place . . . not to mention the people (both pro and anti) there to see the torch pass by, the media, the tourists, etc. Never a dull moment, indeed!

*The Olympic Motto: "Swifter, Higher, Stronger"

2 comments:

Sandra Vahtel said...

what I want to know is where were all these people when the first free tibet movement was going on? I don't understand all the bandwagoning now, as opposed to ten-to-twelve years ago when people were saying what's going on there now was inevitable...

Anonymous said...

I hope you are in the thick of it. I think I would boycott and protest in this one to send a clear message of solidarity. I don't know why people are choosing now beyond the olympics but American businesses could give a clear message by boycotting purchases from C. Did you know that they are hacking into T. activist group websites and emailing all these viruses to activists. The world is def. a different turf than the first free T. movement 10-12 years ago.