21 January 2008

BNA *

I'm sitting here waiting for my flight to Denver and then SFO. There's a slight chance that I'll miss my connecting flight if this one is delayed too long (for de-icing). Oh well - good thing Mom and Dad live in Denver - I won't be relegated to the DIA floor for the night if we are delayed...ha! :)

It has been a wonderful weekend. S and I just picked up like no time had passed whatsoever, which always amazes me. I got to visit with her whole family (including meeting her precious nieces & nephew) and meet a few of her close friends. Worlds collided in the best of ways.

We spent a lot of time curled in blankets (temperatures in the teens here!) talking until the wee hours, drinking tea, looking at photos, listening to performances, watching chick flicks, etc. But we also braved the cold, going for a lake-side trek with her dad in the Nature reserve behind her folks' house. (I'll put up a couple of pics soon).

As is usually the case, I feel very much at home when I head back to a Southern state. Living my fast-paced city life, I forget how nice it is to walk down the street and have everyone say "hello". Also, you don't have to lock your doors out in the country where S's folks live, and you can leave things in the car without worrying about break-ins. The men are gentlemen and the women are ladies, and everyone is happy with and expects this arrangement. Even after this quick visit, I feel drawn into the rhythm of life here. Including (of course) finding myself slipping into the inevitable drawl I always seem to pick up during any down here.

All in all, a highly enjoyable weekend. I am so glad it worked out!

No comments: