03 January 2006

"10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 . . . "

I rang in the new year with the loveliest group of people; we were in our own little bubble of laughter, good cheer, love, joy and hope for all that 2006 would be (all that and fondue, too).

I have to admit that I was a little concerned about how the evening would work out, for a few reasons. One of which being that I wasn't flying back to SF until the 31st. But, my plane was only slightly late, and I had the the blessing of a ride home from the airport (thanks to DGS)!

Upon arriving home, there were groceries to be bought, and an ever-growing guest list with which to contend. I was worried about the fact that there were several "unknowns" coming to the event: friends of friends, about whom little or nothing was known. I think I was worried because I was tired and - (believe it or not) - being a person more inclined to introvertedness, I was just coming from a week of no 'alone time' into a party situation with strangers! Ack!

But, not to fear, as the group really gelled well: there was a neat cross-section of social circles involved, and all were open and glad to make new friends.

One last pre-party worry was the curious disappearance of my fondue pot. Not good when one is hosting a fondue-themed party. I'm sure I must've let someone borrow it last year, but I've no recollection of whom. Oh well. We attempted to use the crock pot, but that fell on the floor, and is no more.

Once the party was under way, all was well. Food and drink flowed, spirits soared, and competitive natures reared up during our game of Taboo. We rang in the new year with Dick Clark (on time-delay, of course), toasted champagne and sparkling cider to all of our new friendships, and even stole a midnight kiss or two. A weak attempt was made at trying to sing "Auld Lang Syne"...but no one remembered all of the words!

The party continued to the wee bits of the morning: some folks leaving intermittently throughout the night, some staying on to watch "Reality Bites" in the first few hours of 2006. By 5am, the majority had left, with a couple folks crashing at my place, thoroughly exhausted but (I hope) happy.

All-in-all, that's what I call a successful New Year's Eve Party.

Best of the New Year to you and yours! Here's to 2006!

No comments: