19 August 2005

Small World

This afternoon, after work, and before heading off to teach diction here, I had some time to kill. I went to the wonderfully italian Emporio Rulli on Union Square for some tea (I know! Of all things, I should've had the espresso, but I'm trying not to drink so much coffee!).

I sat outside, going over the nights' lesson, when two tourists asked to share my table. They were whispering in German, and I just couldn't resist. I asked "Woher kommen sie?" and they started and just couldn't believe that some random american addressed them in Deutsch. Turns out they were visiting from Bavaria, and were travelling around the Bay and yosemite. The man's English was much better than my German, and we had a funny conversation flowing between the two languages. They were nice folks.

Act II: post diction class. I'm walking down O'Farrell, and I pass a crepe shop. Having not eaten yet, and smelling the delicious scents wafting from the open door, I stop in. Turns out this is no imitation crepe place -- it's the real deal! I ask for a "crepe complete", and the girl behind the counter shoots me a double take, and asks me if I'm French. Anywho...we start talking en francais, and totally have this fun connection for the next 10 minutes. I will definately go back for another crepe, but also just to chat!

In more news...my recent trip to Santa Fe was great fun. I'll post more about that later. Now, it's bedtime.

(NB: AZ-I've been cleaning in my closet!!!)

No comments: