26 September 2008

Friday Five - Johnny Appleseed

1. What is your favorite apple dish? Tarte tatin…preferably with calvados, bien sûr.

2. Have you ever planted a tree? If so was there a special reason or occasion you can tell us about? I’ve planted several trees. The most recent were as part of a district-wide neighborhood “work day”. We planted cherry blossom trees in a low-income residential area.

3. Does the idea of roaming around the countryside (preaching or otherwise) appeal to you? Why or why not? The roaming around the countryside part does. Getting out of the city allows me to think, feel and experience stirrings of the soul more easily. As for the preaching part…? Not so much.

4. Who is a favorite "historical legend" of yours? Ohh...hmmm....Jeanne d'arc.

5. Johnny Appleseed was said to sing to keep up his spirits as he traveled the roads of the west. Do you have a song that comes when you are trying to be cheerful, or is there something else that you often do? I am almost constantly singing or humming or whistling . . . everything and nothing in particular. When I’m *trying* to be cheerful…I can't think of a specific tune.

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

My family has always said that we were probably related to Johnny Appleseed since we share the name Chapman (my mother's maiden name) and were from the same area of the country. And the Chapman's are very musical, which did not get passed on to me.