08 August 2008

Friday Five - summer

1. What is your sweetest summer memory from childhood? Did it involve watermelon or hand cranked ice cream? Or perhaps a teen summer romance. Which stands out for you? Most of my summer memories are linked to time spent in the mountains. Growing up, summer vacations were spent in the Rockies with family and friends: hiking, fishing, canoeing, boating . . . I have wonderful memories from there. In college, I spent a couple summers in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina - the place where I've seen more shooting stars than one should be allowed to experience in a single lifetime. Truly magical and beautiful country out there.

2. Describe your all time favorite piece of summer clothing. The one thing you could put on in the summer that would seem to insure a cooler, more excellent day. My all time favorite piece of summer clothing now - for SF - is my brother's fleece (I've "borrowed" it) because most of the time the summers here are cool and foggy! However, there were SEVERAL summers growing up that my absolute fave piece of clothing was this awful tan canvas fishing hat (with or without a 'do-rag underneath). OH MAN! I loved that hat. It travelled with me everywhere there for a while.

3. What summer food fills your mouth with delight and whose flavor stays happily with you long after eaten? Strawberries! I love them. And cantaloupe.

4. Tell us about the summer vacation or holiday that holds your dearest memory. I have really fond memories from the summer I graduated from high school (1997). I had an *awesome* graduation party - truly, it was one of the best parties I've ever had the pleasure of attending. (And I do say "attending" because my mom put the whole thing together - she is where I get my love of throwing parties.) I had (still have) some incredibly talented friends whose combo played jazz for the night; a family friend did a bunch of gorgeous flower arrangements; and there were a ton of beloved people there to celebrate. That was also the summer I turned 18, which was a HUGE deal for me, because it meant I no longer had a strict curfew and could enjoy the remainder of my last real Colorado summer with all my friends.

5. Have you had any experience(s) this summer that has drawn you closer to God or perhaps shown you His wonder in a new way? I have had the opportunity to get to know some of my musical colleagues better and deepen existing friendships with them. I definitely count that as a way in which God shows himself - by showing me how to love people. Along those same lines . . . I have also had an extremely frustrating summer in regards to one particular person, and have been quite angry as a result of those frustrations. Only now am I getting through that anger, and I believe it's only because of God's grace and lots of prayer that this is happening. He's showing me how to humble myself and love that person - even though that is the last possible thing I've wanted to do (and have been putting it off!)

Bonus question: When it is really hot, humid and uncomfortable, what do you do to refresh and renew body and spirit? Shower, cold drink, and an ice pack (or a package of frozen peas) on the back of my neck.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know someone had just mentioned to me about a package of frozen peas not more than a week ago to use as an ice pack. Wacky.

MezzoCO said...

I have had the (mis)fortune of finding out many times over the benefits of frozen veggies as icepacks. ha!