24 February 2008

feedback

The concert went well last night. Our audience was smaller than we had hoped, due to the craptastic rainstorm we were having. But, even though they were small(er), they were mighty and very receptive.

When I got to the venue, I started thinking about how long it had been since I'd performed in this kind of situation - that is . . . singing an opera excerpt without actually being in the opera. Shoot - it's been months since I've even had to audition for anything. That being the case, I was starting to think "well, crap...hopefully I'm not boring and don't just stand up there like a moron, etc etc". So, I took a quick few minutes to sit and think through my piece, again - getting in touch with the emotional viewpoint of Demetrius (the character).

So. I get up there, do my thing, actively lowering my center of gravity to walk and project more manly than not. But mostly - I think about my attitude, my eyes, my sense of defiance. How, despite being incarcerated (as it were), none of that matters..."the man" can't bring me down. Basically, my thought process was "*uck you and your little dog too - you can't quelch me." And - shoot - I am in love, so all things are possible, right? Right!

I guess it worked, because a man came up to me later and said "You know - even though you didn't move around a lot or anything during your song . . . you were believable. I could read everything in your face & sound. I know you must've been working hard, but it looked easy."

And that - well, that was probably the highest compliment I could have received. I was humbled and just smiled and said "thank you....".

No comments: