03 January 2007

'tis the season . . .

I hate making 'resolutions.' For me, the word resolution may as well just be defined as "something to do during the month of January, and then discard February 1".

It's true. I don't know why, but there must be some sort of disconnect in my brain. I know I'm not the only one, I'm just saying.

However, I also know there are other folks who don't necessarily think like that. For some, "resolution" is just that: a strengthening of one's resolve to make a change in one's life. I respect these people a great deal, and admire their tenancity to stick-to-it.

Anyways, I was at lunch with a couple friends one day not too long ago, and one asked "do you have any resolutions for 2007?" Even though my mind can leap to some stock answers - things I know I should resolve to do (lose weight, sleep more, clean out the house, etc), I don't want to classify them as "resolutions" out loud because I just don't think I'll get it done.

2006....my biggest goal for 2006 was to decrap my house. Well. If anything, I did the opposite...got more crap to fill it up. So, whilst this is niggling at the back of my brain, I dare not pronounce it as a carry-over resolution from 2006, or else no progress whatsoever will be made.

Sitting there, thinking to myself, "what can I possibly resolve to do in 2007 that might actually get DONE?" After several minutes, and a few conversation topics later, it hit me:

I shall floss daily.

That may sound tiny, insignificant perhaps. But to me (and my dentist) it's not. I have never been in the daily habit of flossing, and that is no good. And, the best part? I *started* flossing in December. So it was kind of like cheating on my "New Year's Resolution" because I had a head start.

Am I a total nut having to double-talk my way around my own head and my own stubborness? Sometimes...

No comments: