22 March 2006

perspective

I just talked to my mom and found out that someone I grew up with as a child just committed suicide.

It's an odd feeling...hard to process. I cannot count JT as a particularly close friend as of recent times...in fact, I had not seen nor spoken to him (or really anyone in his family) in several years. Which is why my feelings are somewhat...juxtaposed. He died at age 26 - my same age - and was a regular guy: he had a myspace account, college degree, and a passion for the outdoors, just like his father. My memories of JT are of a happy boy, aged 8ish, covered in frosting and sitting at our kitchen counter making candyhouses. I remember watching him grow up, even when he got to be "too cool" for our families' Christmas traditions during those intermediate teenaged years. It's hard to reconcile the boy with his death.

I remember his two younger sisters, and how they looked up to him...their badass, older brother, who would take care of them during school.

I also found out that JT's mom died last year. From alzheimers. She wasn't very old - but I had no idea that this had happened.

Please pray for John, Ashley and Katy as they mourn the passing of a son and big brother. Especially for John; he has outlived both his wife and his first-born son. I can't even imagine.


It makes my stresses seem awfully paltry, in comparason.

1 comment:

math jedi said...

:(

I'm sorry to hear that. And I know exactly what you mean about "reconciling the boy with his death"... a little over a year ago, I heard that an old friend whom I hadn't seen in three or four years had taken his own life, and I was shocked to hear that because, when I knew him, he was always full of life and hope and such.

:(