22 February 2006

We the people

I had to respond to my jury summons today. It was the first time I'd ever been called here in SF. I woke up at 6 (ugh) and had to take my car in for new brake pads before going to the courhouse for 8:30 this morning.

It was a gorgeous day, today, so making the walk up from SOMA to Civic Center was a nice way to start the morning. I arrived at the courthouse greeted by the line out the door of folks waiting to pass through a metal detector.

Down to room 007, the Juror Assembly Room. It was a good place for people watching, and I was reminded just how much of a melting pot SF is. Unlike my last jury summons, in Arapahoe County, CO, I was the minority (young, white, female) this time.

Young and old the jurors poured in: equipped with books, iPods, magazines, computers, or just a pair of sunglasses we gathered. By 9 am, there were about 100 of us waiting around.

Post-orientation, I was called up to a jury selection with about 40 other folks. The judge entered and told us the case would take at least 6-8 weeks. Twitterings from the crowd.

I filled out my "hardship" form, stating that it would be impossible for me to serve as a juror on this case. I have nothing against my "civic duty" other than the timing, which is what I told the judge: at work, we are just about to move and then renovate, so the trial would be taking place during our preparation and subsequent move. Highly inconvenient! I let the judge know I was happy to defer my duty until July 10.

I sat. And waited. And read. And waited some more.

Finally, after an hour or so, I got my papers declaring I was free to go. I had served my time. That was it, she didn't even make me defer my time. Interesting.

So. Lots of work-drama avoided. Praise the Lord.
----
-In other news....I was offered a role with GG Opera, which happens to be up in Marin County. They called me up on Saturday and asked for my resume and voila! It is for a small role I've already performed, and they would like to hear and consider me for a larger role and/or cover. Kinda nice, just to be called up like that.

-My brother and his girlfriend are coming to visit in a couple of weeks. I am so excited I just don't know what do to!! I am thinking that karaoke is in order . . . as for the rest of the time, Will has expressed his desire to have Dim Sum, but, other than that, not many plans.

-I don't know if I slept crooked or what, but I think one of my pinched nerves (leftover from a May 2004 car accident) is flaring up - I have had dull, throbbing pain in my neck and head all day. grrr.

-Mom and Dad are safely back in CO. I have some funny tales from their trip, which I'll post at some point this week.

-I think it's time to re-read my favorite books. I got the most recent installment for Christmas, but I kinda want to read the entire saga again. If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why - this is book number 6, and each is easily 900+ pages. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw! I miss you! What a great update! So excited for your role!!!!!! Congrats, dude!