23 January 2006

Where is Anne Geddes when you need her?

I would like to preface this by saying that the game Puerto Rico *rocks*. For all of you Settlers of Catan fans (and by 'fans', I mean you, AZ) out there, this is right up your alley!

I spent a lovely day in Fremont on Saturday. (Contrary to popular belief "lovely day" and "Fremont" are not necessarily mutually exclusive). DGS invited me to attend a birthday party with him; one of his college friends was turning 30! Yay!

So, BARTing down to the end of the line, listening to Johnny Cash and Extreme on my iPod, I nodded off a little bit. As is the norm on BART. But, there was this woman who boarded around Powell station, and she had her little daughter with her. She was about 2, I guess. And she was just as cute as a button...talking to everyone, dancing on the seat, smiling. The old man in front of me stuck up a funny little conversation with her, and was teaching her to make peace signs. Well, her mom didn't really fancy that too much, and eventually they moved. (When they finally disembarked, the old man said "Listen to your mother, and never, ever, talk to strangers!")

Anyways...I'll come back to the BART portion.

The party was very fun...lots of games were played (I was a winner!) and good food. Granted, I didn't know anyone really, but nonetheless, this was a nice group of people and it was cool to see them interact and catch up after being apart for a while.

Now, the title of this post has to do with the fact that:
A) Almost everyone at the party was in a 'couple' and
B) Three of them (married) had babies. One-year-olds or younger!

The babies were precious...all of them, absolutely adorable. But, it was a little overwhelming to be surrounded by babies and moms and talks of lactating etc etc...because most of my friends do not have kids (yet). I was at the young-er end of the age spectrum on Saturday, and it was like a completely different world. Someone said to me that "when one is married, you feel about 5 years older than your single friends." I'm inclined to say that "when one is single, you feel about 5 universes removed from your friends with kids."

So...back to the BART, with the mom and her little daughter. Kids are a big responsibility, man! Keeping track of a little one while commuting, carrying different things, going here and there - life is no longer all about "me:"...you've a little person completely dependent on you for their every need.

I like to take care of the people in my life...sometimes to the point that I neglect myself, it seems. In high school, people starting commenting that "some day, you're going to be a good mother"....but wow....I am not near that point right now - I'm just too selfish. And, quite frankly, I'm fine with that - I like being able to do whatever, whenever. Ask me in another five years or so, and we'll see what the ole biological clock has to say. But, for now, the alarm is on silent (much to Sally D's chagrin, I'm thinking - however, my brother and I BOTH have told her that she's just going to have to hang around for a while!)

Anyways. Right now, I'm content being "auntie" to baby Jonathan and baby Kaylia (who is supposed to be born in a couple weeks). I get to spoil them with love, without all of the day-to-day dirty diapers! I'm cool with that . . .

1 comment:

math jedi said...

haha... good post :)