16 January 2006

see the stone set in your eyes

You know that just....primal.... yell Bono lets loose in "With or Without You"....?

I love that. It's so meaningful...it's not a yelp of anger, it's one of .... well, it's hard to describe, which is why I think Bono chose to insert that, instead of having more words.

For me, I've always felt that the man (or woman, as the case may be) saying those lyrics is just so torn in their situation that they can't go back and forth about it anymore, and all that is left to be expressed is

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"!!

A release of inner emotional tension, perhaps.
The desire to communicate that which words fail to do so.

That's what I feel like sometimes - just tongue tied. Which is weird, because I'm one of those people that tends to NOT be able to hide what's going on in my head - my face gives a lot away. But then again, I've never been especially good with the spoken word. It's a little *hard* for me to be one-on-one and just come out and bare my soul.

I've come a long way as I've gotten older. I care less what other people think, and will just blurt out things without necessarily filtering them first.

It's not just me, though. I would venture to say that it's hard for most people to be open and vulnerable with one another. It takes trust and faith that the person listening will not just turn away and start laughing, or abandon you, or hurt you. There is a lot of jadedness in our society, too, which just inhibits open communication even more. I thank God every day that there are people in my life with whom I can just be myself and be open. But, I still find myself wanting to hide in my shell, sometimes.

All this...um...overthinking?...was prompted by my day off. I was floating along happily in my day off. I think I stayed in my pj's until....oh, 2pm. L-A-Z-Y. All I had to do was go to a 4pm appointment, and that ended up not happening.

And then I started thinking about how I wasted my day.

And what I really wanted to do today was drive down to the 8-3-1 and spend the day with a certain *deer* man.

And I was frustrated, because I didn't plan - or even talk about - a trip. I think I was scared to come out and say "Hey, you know what? I want to come see you." And, that is just...dumb...on my part. I ended up telling him, anyways, in a very rambling sort of way, and he was gracious enough to let me finish my ramblings without telling me that I was completely out of my gourd. :)

Anyways. You know how there are all those self-help books out there? I bet that that industry would just all go to pot if eveyone started being honest with each other and stopped caring so much about their image/egos/whathaveyou. With all the "social protocols" and "rules" these days, it's a wonder more people aren't nuts trying to follow them all.

Praise the LORD that He just takes us as-is, you know?

2 comments:

math jedi said...

I think I like that song even more after reading that. :)

I like what you say about self-help books and such... it's always nice to hear that after all the issues I've had with people who care too much about protocols.

(And let's hope that next time it comes up, you'd have to go up to the 9-1-6 instead...)

Sandra Vahtel said...

I think it's part of our brokeness as people that we have a hard time being honest with each other. And by that I mean, speaking words on honesty out of love, and not out of anger or spite -- 'cause plenty of people do that.

I know exactly how you feel about being inarticulate sometimes -- vulnerability sucks, but I think it's all part of our design as humans, it's the ideal, anyway, and our relationship with Christ is a good model -- too bad there aren't more people who are so completely accepting.