19 January 2005

That four-letter word . . .

I was involved in a discussion the other day about a certain four-letter word that has become a casual, tossed-off part of our everyday speech. People interject it without thinking, really, about the sentiment behind such a strong word. Lest you think that I'm going to start cursing (in a traditional sense) let me tell you the word I'm thinking of: Hate.

When someone professes to "hate" something or someone, it is usually in a causal manner, such as "I hate lima beans". I hear, and use, 'hate' in this context without a second thought: I hate San Francisco drivers, I hate liver, I hate Natalie Merchant's music, etc, etc...

Hate, however, is a strong word. I feel that it implies the direct opposite of love. When one hates something, it is impossible to love it-the two cancel each other out. I know that when I start to say I 'hate' little things, that it becomes easier for me to start (and want) to hate bigger things. I don't want to be the type of person who casually tosses this verb around. I want my life to be filled with love. Not just platonic, familial and romantic love, but God's love. I don't have to like everyone on this planet, but I want to extend love to them all the same.

So, how about these changes: I passionately dislike, for example, Natalie Merchant's music, which takes longer to say, but is more appropriate to the sentiment I truly feel. I prefer not to eat lima beans, and I am frustrated by San Francisco drivers.

I want to try out this new vocabulary. I know that the more time I spend deepening my spiritual life, that the easier it will be. I mean, if God is love (He is), than the more of Him I take in, the easier the flow of love will come out. We are called to love God with all of our heart, soul and mind. We are also called to love one another - friend, family and enemy! There is no room for hate.

Let the love-in begin!

1 comment:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Indeed! Katy, I LOVE this sentiment...what a good idea.

I'm all about an ever-expanding vocabulary as well.