09 November 2004

SMU redux

THREE and a half years was far too long to stay off of Texas soil. I know that sounds crazy, but really it was. To spend four years in one place and then not visit it for almost four years is really difficult (I experienced the same thing with France in May). I guess it's not so much the place as the memories and the people with which Dallas and SMU are associated. I had three days full of laughter, nostalgic story telling, catching-up and hanging out. What a wonderful little vacation. While I won't give a play-by-play, I will list some of the highlights:

-Being loosed on Dallas with cohorts Annelies and Sandra
-Having real Tex-Mex (read: not CHEVY'S) at the Blue Goose with Michelle
-reuniting with Cedric, by far the coolest jazz man I know
-walking into Meadows and realizing that it still smells the same
-seeing little kids go berzerk over the dum dum's and bazooka joe that was being thrown at them during the Parade
-crunching those little chestnut acorn things that cover the SMU campus
-watching SMU beat Tulsa in our football game
-wondering why the male cheerleaders looked so bored
-buying a fun new SMU t-shirt and hat
-seeing Jennifer, Buz, Janie, Cathy, Bethie, Johnny and Ginny at Buca di Beppo
-ordering food and wine for 13 people, and then having the bill come out just right
-Eatzi's brownies (for dad)
-napping/talking on Sunday afternoon with AZ and Sandra. Basically, just doing nothing, but having a lot of fun doing it
-getting phone calls from my 'just-out-of-the-box' boyfriend
-bluegrass band (Alabama Bottle Boys) at Club Dada
-Karaoke at the Gay Country Bar (Best lookin' Cowboys in town)
-Complimenting a drag queen on his/her earrings
-Mary lou's amazing cooking and hospitality
-Mary lou's tour of Dallas, and getting to eat popsicles and corn stuff (dang, I already forgot the name!!)
-wild about harry's
-dinner with matt, AZ and SV
-Sam Moon
-The Incredibles!!
-SMU luggage tag

2 comments:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Dude -- Sam Moon!

That place was so overwhelming, I blocked it out of my brain...If I weren't so impressed by the sheer size of the operation, I would have been disgusted.

Jennifer said...

yeah, i've heard about how awesome sam moon is my entire life. i finally went a couple of months ago. it was pretty anticlimactic. a crap store full of crazed women who will eat your eyeballs to get a Louis Vitton knockoff purse. it was too much for me. too much!