21 February 2005

What a difference a day makes

LOVE that song! But what I really mean is TGIPresidents' Day. I was thankful for the morning to sleep in (even the phone ringing at 8:30 this morning did not keep me from staying in bed until 10). Yay!

It was a crazy weekend spent driving all over the bay. And, somewhat unnaturally, getting lost almost every time I hit the road. I blame a certain online map making site.

Incident one was Saturday morning. It was raining and gross. I had to be in Oakland for a competition at 10:30. I basically knew where I was going, but I printed out directions, just in case. I follow the directions and end up in some canyon in Piedmont. Despite its magnificent beauty and lush vegetation, it was not the Mount Zion Lutheran Church off of Park Boulevard. I see an old man walking his dog, so I roll down my window to say, "Excuse me, can you help me? I am in the wrong place." He looks at me -- all big red lips, diva hair and sparkling earrings -- and says, "You sure are." Classic. He points me in the right direction and the day continues.

Fast forward to incident two, on Saturday night. Still raining. After a much needed and fun afternoon with Bettina and the Queen, Fabs and I head to Cafe Cocomo to get our salsa on. Fabs brought internet directions with her. Those of you who have ever been to Cocomo know that it is in a middle-of-nowhere industrial part of SF, nearish Potrero. There are no street lights here. After asking ourselves "Was THAT Indiana street?" and doing a U-turn or two, we finally made it. GREAT night of dancing, but that's another blog.

The third incident was Sunday afternoon. On our way to catch West Bay Opera's production of Lucia di Lammermoor, SW brings out the directions she got online. However, they are not to the right place. ALAS. We make our way, eventually, to the theater. I must say that this production was amazing. Beautifully sung and incredibly powerful all around.

Now I am at home, and not planning on getting lost on my next trek (down to the supermarket). If you don't hear from me in a week, send out a search party!

No comments: